Chicken Spareribs Recipe
Inexpensive chicken thighs get all gussied up in a zippy sparerib-style sauce that's irresistable. Janice Porterfield of Atlanta, Texas shared the recipe.
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken over medium heat in oil in batches on both sides; drain. Return all of the chicken to the pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the water, brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- 3. Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC