- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken over medium heat in oil in batches on both sides; drain. Return all of the chicken to the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Spareribs
Sort By :
We liked this after I played with the sauce some, I added more ketchup because the soy sauce was a little over powering.
I thought this was very good, I was just not overly impressed. Simple to put together.
These were okay. The idea is a good one, but the sauce had a bitterness to it that we didn't like, which I think was due to the soy sauce. There was also a lot of sauce to throw away....wasted ingredients. We may like them better with a sauce that doesn't have the soy in it. I love soy sauce in many things, but not in this case.
Sliced mushrooms and sliced water chestnuts are an excellant edition to this recipe. Just add when the liquid ingredients are added to the chicken.