- tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and skin and cut chicken into
- bite size pieces. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Return chicken to broth along with the carrots, celery, onion, garlic
- and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35
- minutes. Add mushrooms and simmer 8-10 minutes longer. Remove bay
- In a small bowl, combine first three spaetzle ingredients. Stir in
- the egg, water and milk; blend well. Drop batter by 1/2 teaspoonfuls
- into simmering soup. Cook for 10 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings (2
- 1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 206 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.