Chicken Soup with Potato Dumplings Recipe
Our family calls this comforting, old-fashioned soup our “Sunday dinner soup” because it’s almost a complete dinner in a bowl. You’ll love the flavor!—Marie McConnell, Shelbyville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (with added milk)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken, celery, carrots and sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the dumpling ingredients. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 354 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,774 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC