- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (with added milk)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken, celery, carrots and sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the dumpling ingredients. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Soup with Potato Dumplings
"I was surprised at how good this was, especially since it was quick & easy. The whole family gave it great reviews and there were no leftovers. Will definitely become a regular recipe at our house."
"This soup was simple but good. Next time, however, I'm going to use a potato dumpling recipe that calls for flour instead of bisquick because gluten free bisquick can get really expensive."
"This is one of my all time favorites."
"I make this all the time regardless of the season. It is one of our favorites! I like to cut the liquid a little so it becomes more like a thick stew."
"My family and i love this recipe. I have been making it since it first appeared in taste of home. It is always a hit and they aren't any leftovers."