- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Add enough water to broth to measure 3 quarts.
- Remove chicken from bones; cut into bite-size pieces and return to pan. Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If desired, pour cooled soup into 1-pint freezer containers and freeze for future use.
- For Chicken Potato Soup: In a saucepan, combine 1 pint thawed soup base, 1/2 cup cubed peeled potatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- For Cream of Chicken Soup: In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup milk; mix until smooth. Stir in 1 pint thawed soup base. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules and salt and pepper to taste. Yield: 14 servings (6-1/2 pints soup base).
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Chicken Soup Base
Sort By :
Just what I was looking for to use bones after deboning breasts.