Chicken Soft Tacos Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 1-1/4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream, optional
- Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chilies, onion, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender and juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato and sour cream if desired; roll up. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Soft Tacos
Sort By :
I often mash 2 similar recipes together in an attempt to make a good recipe even better. After reading the bland reviews, I made a few revisions. I substituted a 10 oz can of enchilada sauce for the tomato sauce-it seemed like a more natural choice. I had large chicken breasts on hand, so I cut them into large strips. I used twice the garlic powder & onion. I added a tablespoon of dried cilantro. A similar recipe called Lime Chicken Tacos uses 1 cup of chunky salsa and 1 cup of frozen corn at the end of cooking after shredding the meat. That appealed to me for flavor & texture, plus adding veggies is always a good thing. The chicken was moist & very flavorful. This was a cinch..thanks TOH! Another winner, winner...chicken dinner!
I used boneless skinless chicken breast and more seasoning after reading the other reviews... Mine turned out very flavorful. Glad I tried it the family loved it!
my family really liked this but I used boneless skinless breast. It could use a touch more garlic. Other than that we are making it aganin for famaily tonight! Go Iowa!!
This was o.k., I agree it is kind of bland. I wouldn't make it again after finding the slow cooker recipe" Lime Chicken Tacos" from this site. It is much more flavorful and calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts which I prefer for this type of recipe-all white meat tacos.
I am not sure why but my family found this to be very bland. For the work you do removing the skin from the chicken and then shredding the meat from the bone after cooking I do not think this recipe is worth the trouble. The flavor was just not there for us. Sorry.