Chicken Skewers with Cool Avocado Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; cut lengthwise into sixteen 1-in.-wide strips. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lime juice, vinegar, chipotle pepper and salt; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for the sauce, place remaining ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Thread meat onto four metal or soaked wooden skewers. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 8-12 minutes or until no longer pink, turning frequently. Serve with sauce. Yield: 16 skewers (3/4 cup sauce).
1 each: 59 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chicken Skewers with Cool Avocado Sauce
"great recipe - tender chicken with creamy cool avocado sauce - will make again!!"
"I made this when some of my husband's friends came over, and was embarrassed. The marinade was ok, not amazing, and the sauce was boring and blah. Also, the adobo sauce was a hassle to find and not worth it. I won't even try to adapt this recipe- I don't know where to start."
"I would do this with lemon herb instead of the lime pepper though."
"dblunt, if you haven't made it, don't review it, you might as well say its partly cloudy"
"This is really quite good if you don't like the marinade try your usual one. This is delicious with Rachel's Ray's avocado sauce(almost the same) and the pepper/olive relish. I think it was fine. Just tune it to your own liking. Olive and Pepper Salsa:1 cup Spanish olives with pimentos, drained and chopped2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped1 small white skinned onion, choppedSeveral drops hot sauce1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, a handful1/2 lemon or lime, juicedSaltAvocado and Garlic Sour Cream:2 ripe avocados, pitted and spoon flesh from skins1/2 lemon, juiced1 clove garlicSalt1 cup sour cream"
"Making tonight. Will add cumin and minced garlic to the sauce and perhaps the marinade as well."
"Haven't tried this yet, but agree with the other reviews - the marinade sounds like it needs some extra flavor. But then I REALLY like seasoning! I will probably make these but add some garlic powder, onion powder, pepper etc to the marinade."
"Marinade needed work, flavors didnt work well together and needed something."
"Disappointed with this recipe. Sauce was bland and chicken unremarkable."
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.