Chicken Shrimp Creole Recipe
- 2 bacon strips
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute the chicken, onion, green pepper and celery in drippings for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and reserved bacon; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup shrimp mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 272 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 458 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.