Chicken Sausages with Polenta Recipe
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add polenta; cook 9-11 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender. Remove from pan.
- 3. Add sausages to same pan; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until browned. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through. Serve with polenta; sprinkle with cheese and basil. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup sausage mixture with 2 slices polenta equals 212 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.