Chicken Sausages with Polenta Recipe
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add polenta; cook 9-11 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender. Remove from pan.
- 3. Add sausages to same pan; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until browned. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through. Serve with polenta; sprinkle with cheese and basil. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup sausage mixture with 2 slices polenta: 212 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chicken Sausages with Polenta
"This was delicious, though I only made the chicken sausage mixture, not the polenta. I didn't have any on hand so I ended up making baked garlic sweet potatoes as a side dish. I used a tablespoon of oil rather than a teaspoon, however--it just didn't look like enough to saut? all those peppers and onions. Loved it though, and will definitely try with polenta in the future."
"My family loved this recipe!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.