My sister Mary, an excellent cook, shared this wonderful recipe—I've always loved its tantalizing blend of ingredients. It came to mind immediately when I saw the announcement for CW's Savory Stir-Fry and Skillet Suppers contest. (I didn't tell Mary I entered it. What a nice surprise it will be when she sees her recipe printed in the magazine!)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, mushrooms and zucchini in oil until tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add chicken and sausage to skillet; cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, basil and oregano.
- Return vegetables to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Sausage Skillet in Country Woman January/February 2000, p31
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Sausage Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review