Chicken Sausage Patties
Enjoy the taste of homemade breakfast sausage without the guilt. This hearty recipe used ground chicken in place of regular pork sausage for a lighter spin on the favorite breakfast fare. —Mary Webb, Longwood, Florida
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup grated peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1/4 pound ground chicken or turkey
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in 3/4 teaspoon oil until
- crisp-tender. Add apple; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Let
- stand until cool enough to handle. Stir in seasonings. Crumble
- chicken over apple mixture and mix well. Shape into four
- 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a skillet, cook patties in remaining oil over medium heat or until
- juices run clear. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with ground chicken breast) equals 137 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.