Chicken Sausage Gyros
Surprise your family after a day at the beach with this fast, filling meal in minutes. Casual and hearty, the whole wheat pitas are packed with veggies—and flavor. —Kerri George, Berne, Indiana
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches)
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage over
- medium heat until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cucumber,
- vinegar, oil and garlic powder. Serve chicken sausage on pita breads
- with tomato, onion and cucumber sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 gyro with 1/4 cup sauce equals 418 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein.