Chicken Sausage Gyros Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches)
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage over medium heat until heated through.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cucumber, vinegar, oil and garlic powder. Serve chicken sausage on pita breads with tomato, onion and cucumber sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 gyro with 1/4 cup sauce: 418 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Sausage Gyros
"These were good, even the pickiest eaters in my family enjoyed them. I used the sausages the recipe called for [found at Sams as well as many other chicken sausage options] and also made with a chicken sausage that had sweet peppers, fontina, garlic and onion. Roasted red peppers and onion on the grill with the sausage and offered that as an option for the filling."
"The taste of chicken sausage gyros was not at all what I expected. It was not for me."
"I add sautéed onions & red peppers.I will make this again :-)"
"I love gyros and this is was excellent! When I want one this will be my go to recipe. Found the sausage the recipe called for. A keeper for sure!"
"easy and delicious!"
"These were good! I made too much of the cucumber sauce, but other than that, it was tasty and easy too."
"Very good and tasted like a lamb gyro for half the calories. I found 90 calorie whole wheat pitas and used less sauce...very satisfying!"