Chicken Saltimbocca with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
“I created this recipe to capture the flavors of saltimbocca, but without all the fat and sodium. With the addition of beans, it becomes a one-dish meal. We really enjoy it.” Virginia Anthony — Jacksonville, Florida
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage or 3 teaspoons dried sage leaves, divided
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, prosciutto, shallots and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, lightly mash 1/2 cup beans; add the water, 1 tablespoon sage and remaining pepper and beans; cook and stir until heated through. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add chicken broth to the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in cream and remaining sage; heat through (do not boil). Return chicken to skillet; cook for 2 minutes. Serve with bean mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Saltimbocca with Mushroom Sauce in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009, p35
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Saltimbocca with Mushroom Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >