Chicken Salad Sandwiches
"I entered this recipe in a contest that our local newspaper holds each year, and it won first place in the salad division," reports Judy Kisch-Keuten of Beatrice, Nebraska. Toasted almonds and a celery add crunch to the flavorful sandwich filling that's tasty served on English muffins.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3/4 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 English muffins, split and toasted
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 thin tomato slices
- In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Top 12 muffin halves
- with lettuce leaves; spread with chicken salad. Top with tomato
- slices and remaining muffin halves. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free mayonnaise and 3/4 teaspoon salt) equals 213 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.