Chicken Salad Pockets Recipe
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded red leaf lettuce or romaine
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, tomato and onions. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar and basil. Pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Just before serving, add lettuce and toss to coat. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each pita half. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita halves equals 406 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.