Lois McAtee of Oceanside, California gives leftover chicken an unexpected treatment in this memorable main-dish pie. A creamy chicken salad mixture chock-full of celery, walnuts and pineapple looks special enough for company when chilled in a flaky pie crust.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Prick the bottom and sides of pastry shell several times with a fork. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 15-16 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and mayonnaise in a bowl. Stir in the chicken, pineapple, 1 cup walnuts and celery. Pour into cooled crust. Top with remaining cheese and walnuts. Refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Salad Pie in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p43
Reviews for Chicken Salad Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review