Ruth Peterson from Jenison, Michigan uses up leftover chicken to create a creamy spread from open-faced sandwiches. "They're delicious, satisfying and inexpensive," she notes. "You can tuck the filling into buns instead, wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven for a few minutes."
Recommended: 20 Wedding Shower Recipes
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons each chopped green pepper, onion and ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 4 sandwich rolls
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, mayonnaise, cheese, green pepper, onion, olives and relish. Split rolls in half; place cut side up on a greased baking sheet. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken salad on each roll half. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Salad Melts in Quick Cooking January/February 2005, p7
Reviews for Chicken Salad Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2013
"These were really good. My mother has made a similar recipe except with tuna for many years. That recipe has a slice of American cheese on top rather than the cubed Velveeta. I think I may try this like that next time."