Chicken Romaine Salad Recipe
Mom invented this colorful salad by combining romaine lettuce with toasted pecans, chicken strips, grapes, dried cranberries and cheddar cheese. I think she's particularly proud of this recipe. -Kevin Weeks North Palm Beach, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Vidalia onion or honey mustard salad dressing
- 1. Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; stir in pecans and salt. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Set aside.
- 2. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, grapes, cranberries and cheese. Add chicken and reserved nuts; toss to combine. Serve with dressing. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC