Chicken Romaine Salad
Mom invented this colorful salad by combining romaine lettuce with toasted pecans, chicken strips, grapes, dried cranberries and cheddar cheese. I think she's particularly proud of this recipe.
North Palm Beach, Florida
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Vidalia onion or honey mustard salad dressing
- Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; stir in pecans
- and salt. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Set
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few
- pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an electric skillet, heat
- oil to 375°. Fry chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes or until no
- longer pink, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, grapes, cranberries and
- cheese. Add chicken and reserved nuts; toss to combine. Serve with
- dressing. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).