Chicken Romaine Salad Recipe
Mom invented this colorful salad by combining romaine lettuce with toasted pecans, chicken strips, grapes, dried cranberries and cheddar cheese. I think she's particularly proud of this recipe. -Kevin Weeks North Palm Beach, Florida
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Vidalia onion or honey mustard salad dressing
- Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; stir in pecans and salt. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, grapes, cranberries and cheese. Add chicken and reserved nuts; toss to combine. Serve with dressing. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Chicken Romaine Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p35
Reviews for Chicken Romaine Salad(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2011
I saw a remake of this recipe in the Healthy cooking magazine. They made it healthier by using cooking spray (rather than butter) and they also substituted half of the pecans with salted soy nuts. I made it today - and it was WONDERFUL!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Salad Recipes >
- Chicken Salads >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Salad Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Cranberry Salad Recipes >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Salad Recipes >
- Green Salad Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >