These rolls take some time to prepare, but it's worth it! Everyone enjoys the savory filling wrapped inside a soft, delicious dough.—Susan Carter, American Fork, Utah
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 10 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 to 9-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, mushrooms, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Cool for 5 minutes; cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add eggs, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 4-in. circles. Reroll scraps and cut more circles. Roll circles to a 6-1/2-in. diameter. Place on greased baking sheets and let rise in warm place for 15 minutes.
- Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in the center of each circle. Fold up edges to center; pinch tightly to seal. Dip in butter; roll in crumbs.
- Place, uncovered on greased baking sheets; let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chicken Rolls in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p54
Reviews for Chicken Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2011
"I make this every month for my family and they LOVE it!! I have made it into a ring on busy days. I have added chopped broccoli to the chicken mixture as we like broccoli and I wanted a bit more color!! Absolutely a fabulous recipe a real keeper!"