Pleasant seasonings and plenty of vegetables highlight this traditional chicken and rice pairing from Jan Balata. "Leftovers are great reheated in the microwave," comments the Kilkenny, Minnesota cook.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 2 cups frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or a meat thermometer reads 170°. Add the celery, onions and peppers; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in beans and mushrooms until heated through.
- Stir in the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender; fluff rice with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Rice Skillet in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p50
Reviews for Chicken Rice Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review