- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3-3/4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups boiling water
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil.
- Place rice in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with onion and garlic; top with mushrooms. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; pour over all. Place chicken on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 180° and rice is tender. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Rice Dinner
"This recipe was ok. The flavor of the rice was good and the chicken was tender. BUT, the rice got pretty mushy, and I was wish there had been a little more rice. Also, if I make it again I will not flour the chicken. It was pretty mushy too, and the breading came off underneath the chicken and made the rice have mushiness on top of it. I think if I just brown it in oil or butter without the flour it will be much better. And maybe cook it a little less time."
"It was simple and delicious, and I used my dutch oven so it was a one pot dish! Just remove the chicken after browning, and drain the excess oil. Then add the rice, onion, and garlic. Pour the liquid over the rice, put the chicken back in, and top with the mushrooms. An hour and a half later, ( maybe two), dinner is done! I just need to figure how to spice it up a bit since I need to omit salt!! It has gone in my favorites folder! Thanks again!"
"This recipe was very easy to make. I just think there was too oiling the pan to cook in a pan. When I was putting the rice in the casserole dish. I thought it would not be enough. I was surprised. When I placed the chicken on top of the ricr. Then cooked it for 60 minutes covered . I wanted my chicken browned so i left in the oven for 30 minutes longer. The rice ce out oily. Next time I think I will use vegetable spray. See what will come out"
"This recipe is outstanding! Very easy to put together and great flavor. I used 6 chicken legs. I did not have garlic so I added a generous amount of garlic powder to the flour. The chicken did not brown up as much as I would have liked, so next time I will use half oil & half butter. I used 2cups of basmati rice and 3 cups of chicken broth. We do not care for mushrooms, so I added a generous cup of frozen mixed veggies to the rice & broth mixture. I sprinkled about a half cup of sliced green onions on top of the rice before adding the chicken. The rice was very fluffy with nice flavor. My husband said I could add even more veggies. Next time I might add some sage & rosemary, or some turmeric. Lots of potential with this recipe. There will definitely be a "next time" and soon!!"
"This was very easy to make and delicious! I sauteed celery with the onion and added a little bit of poultry seasoning."