Chicken Rice Casserole with Toasted Almonds Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the rice, broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, onion, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Stir in the chicken, celery, 1/2 cup almonds and rice. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 334 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.