Here's a fun way to serve two delicious staple—chicken and rice. Topped with the creamy mushroom sauce, these are one of my husband's favorite foods.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a medium saucepan, saute celery and half of the onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Add broth; cook and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Stir in rice, chicken, cheese, egg, salt, chili powder and poultry seasoning until well mixed.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls into balls. Roll each in cornflake crumbs and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine soup, milk and remaining onions. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and heated through; serve over balls. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Rice Balls in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p60
Reviews for Chicken Rice Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review