- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup cubed pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Combine chilies and pepper Jack cheese; spoon into each pocket. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown chicken on both sides in oil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Add garlic to skillet; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream cheese, broth and lime juice until blended. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro and lime peel.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken. Serve with cream sauce. Yield: 4 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Rellenos with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce
"This recipe is absolutely fabulous. We both loved it! I normally make all of these notes of what I would do the next time I make the recipe. For this recipe my comment was "perfect as is"."
"I have made this 3 times already...my family loves it! I did cut the lime juice in half and roasted my own green chilies (I live in NM so we have plenty fresh from the garden)."
"So yummy! I served with pasta b/c I didn't have egg noodles and didn't feel like rice. I doubled the sauce, and I'm glad I did. However, I didn't double the lime - used 1 tsp lime zest and about 2.5 tbsp lime juice. I thought it came out just right. Any more, and I think the lime would have been overpowering."
"Tangy cream cheese sauce and lots of green chili punch!"