Chicken Potpie Recipe
Chicken potpie was a favorite childhood food, but my mother never wrote the recipe down. After some trial and error, I came up with this version. It tastes just like hers.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup uncooked thin egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pastry for single-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1. In a medium saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add 2 cups water, chicken, vegetables, noodles, bouillon and pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 5 minutes or just until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. pie plate. Roll out pastry to fit plate; place over filling. Cut several 1-in. slits in the top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 315 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC