- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped or round cutter, cut 18 shapes. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For soup, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Serve with pastries. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Potpie Soup(21)
Sort By :
I made it into a potpie instead. It was too soupy, had difficulty thickening it. Also too salty with Trader Joe's vegetable melange in seasoned butter sauce - so rinse this off next time. Hubby unaware he was eating cauliflower :). Topped with shredded cheese; DH asked where's the torn bread topping?
So Yummy! When I make this, I make a double batch so we can have leftovers. Also, I use an all-ready pie crust to cut down on the time.
We live in Nicaragua and making this Chicken Potpie soup brings us comfort from back home!
This was great comfort food for me. I made it gluten-free by using 1/4 cup cornstarch in place of the flour. I made biscuits on the side using GF Bisquick. I used canned chicken from Trader Joe's (12oz), which made this very easy to put together. This really hit the spot!
I followed the recipe and this soup was great. I didnt make the pie crust though, i had just made baguettes. Will try the pie crust next time i make it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Potpie Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >