Chicken Potpie Soup Recipe
My grandmother hand-wrote a cookbook; she created this amazing pie crust, and I added the delicious soup for it. —Karen LeMay, Pearland, Texas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped or round cutter, cut 18 shapes. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For soup, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- 4. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Serve with pastries. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups with 3 pastries equals 614 calories, 30 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,706 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC