Chicken Potpie Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in broth and milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, peas, pimientos and salt ; heat through. Pour into a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Potpie Casserole(16)
Sort By :
I didn't care for the biscuits and the bland taste but I'll make it again with some poultry seasoning and maybe some bisquick biscuits.
This recipe is delicious. I didn't change a thing. I lost my recipe a long time ago and tried several recipes and I was so pleased to find this recipe. It is as good as my old one. Thank you
A definite comfort food. Perfect blend of flavors and easy to prepare. This is the only one I make. Everyone loves it.
I made some revisions though. Added a 1# bag of peas and carrots, 8 oz of mushrooms, diced two medium potatoes and cooked all with the butter. I added a small amount more, once liquid was hot I scooped some liquid out of pot into a mug, enough to mix with a 1/4 cup of flour, then added back to the pot to thicken the mix, cooked some more before transferring to the baking dish with biscuits. I added black pepper too, plan to try using some poultry seasoning next time, or some other seasoning to give it more flavor. Maybe add some fresh minced garlic next time.
So delicious :) My husband loved it!
I used Pilsbury biscuits on top.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Potpie Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >