- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, pimientos and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Potpie Casserole
Sort By :
"EX!!!!! Great recipe with no changes......"
"I make a similar, but easier version. I heat the broth in a pot then heat the milk in a jar in the microwave & add the flour to the milk & shake vigorously. slowly whisk into the broth. cook til boiling & cook 2 min longer. Add 2 cups of cubed, cooked potatoes, I can of carrots & peas, 2 cups of cut up cooked chicken, 1/2 tea poultry seasoning & a can of cream of chicken soup. cook on med 10 min. pour into casserole dish & bake at 350 til bubbling. then arrange biscuits from a tube on top of casserole. Casserole must be bubbling or the biscuits will be doughy on the bottoms. bake til biscuits are browned."
"This was so good! I have never been a fan of chicken pot pie but with the biscuits it was perfect :-) :-) :-)"
"I didn't care for the biscuits and the bland taste but I'll make it again with some poultry seasoning and maybe some bisquick biscuits."
"This recipe is delicious. I didn't change a thing. I lost my recipe a long time ago and tried several recipes and I was so pleased to find this recipe. It is as good as my old one. Thank you"