Chicken Potpie Casserole Recipe
I always have leftover chicken broth on hand and use it for many things, including this comforting family favorite. You can bake your own biscuits, like I do, or buy them at the store. I like to bake extra biscuits to eat with butter and jam. -Liliane Jahnke Cypress, Texas
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- 2. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, pimientos and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- 4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 5. Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC