- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, pimientos and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Potpie Casserole
Sort By :
"I make a similar, but easier version. I heat the broth in a pot then heat the milk in a jar in the microwave & add the flour to the milk & shake vigorously. slowly whisk into the broth. cook til boiling & cook 2 min longer. Add 2 cups of cubed, cooked potatoes, I can of carrots & peas, 2 cups of cut up cooked chicken, 1/2 tea poultry seasoning & a can of cream of chicken soup. cook on med 10 min. pour into casserole dish & bake at 350 til bubbling. then arrange biscuits from a tube on top of casserole. Casserole must be bubbling or the biscuits will be doughy on the bottoms. bake til biscuits are browned."
"This was so good! I have never been a fan of chicken pot pie but with the biscuits it was perfect :-) :-) :-)"
"I didn't care for the biscuits and the bland taste but I'll make it again with some poultry seasoning and maybe some bisquick biscuits."
"This recipe is delicious. I didn't change a thing. I lost my recipe a long time ago and tried several recipes and I was so pleased to find this recipe. It is as good as my old one. Thank you"
"A definite comfort food. Perfect blend of flavors and easy to prepare. This is the only one I make. Everyone loves it."