Chicken Potpie Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in broth and milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, peas, pimientos and salt ; heat through. Pour into a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Potpie Casserole(18)
Sort By :
I make a similar, but easier version. I heat the broth in a pot then heat the milk in a jar in the microwave & add the flour to the milk & shake vigorously. slowly whisk into the broth. cook til boiling & cook 2 min longer. Add 2 cups of cubed, cooked potatoes, I can of carrots & peas, 2 cups of cut up cooked chicken, 1/2 tea poultry seasoning & a can of cream of chicken soup. cook on med 10 min. pour into casserole dish & bake at 350 til bubbling. then arrange biscuits from a tube on top of casserole. Casserole must be bubbling or the biscuits will be doughy on the bottoms. bake til biscuits are browned.
This was so good! I have never been a fan of chicken pot pie but with the biscuits it was perfect :-) :-) :-)
I didn't care for the biscuits and the bland taste but I'll make it again with some poultry seasoning and maybe some bisquick biscuits.
This recipe is delicious. I didn't change a thing. I lost my recipe a long time ago and tried several recipes and I was so pleased to find this recipe. It is as good as my old one. Thank you
A definite comfort food. Perfect blend of flavors and easy to prepare. This is the only one I make. Everyone loves it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Potpie Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >