Chicken Potpie Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in broth and milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, peas, pimientos and salt ; heat through. Pour into a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Potpie Casserole
Sort By :
"I make a similar, but easier version. I heat the broth in a pot then heat the milk in a jar in the microwave & add the flour to the milk & shake vigorously. slowly whisk into the broth. cook til boiling & cook 2 min longer. Add 2 cups of cubed, cooked potatoes, I can of carrots & peas, 2 cups of cut up cooked chicken, 1/2 tea poultry seasoning & a can of cream of chicken soup. cook on med 10 min. pour into casserole dish & bake at 350 til bubbling. then arrange biscuits from a tube on top of casserole. Casserole must be bubbling or the biscuits will be doughy on the bottoms. bake til biscuits are browned."
"This was so good! I have never been a fan of chicken pot pie but with the biscuits it was perfect :-) :-) :-)"
"I didn't care for the biscuits and the bland taste but I'll make it again with some poultry seasoning and maybe some bisquick biscuits."
"This recipe is delicious. I didn't change a thing. I lost my recipe a long time ago and tried several recipes and I was so pleased to find this recipe. It is as good as my old one. Thank you"
"A definite comfort food. Perfect blend of flavors and easy to prepare. This is the only one I make. Everyone loves it."