Chicken Pom-Poms Recipe
These golden baked croquettes are a fun and different way to serve chicken to a crowd. My husband and I are hosts at a mission house where we cook for groups of 30 or more each week. this recipe is a favorite with guests. -Fran Wolfley St. Mary, Jamaica
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:40-45 servings
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 16 cups cooked long grain rice
- 12 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 10 jars (12 ounces each) chicken gravy
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; stir into vegetable mixture until blended. Gradually stir in broth until blended. Add the milk powder and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until very thick. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 2. Stir the rice, chicken and cheese into the sauce mixture. Combine breadcrumbs and paprika in a shallow baking pan. Shape 1/4 cupfuls of chicken mixture into 2-in. balls; roll in crumb mixture.
- 3. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 400° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and golden brown. Heat the gravy; serve with pom-poms. Yield: 40-45 servings (2 pom-poms each).
1 serving (2 each) equals 325 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC