Chicken Pita Salad Recipe
- 3 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 English cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cut each pita bread into eight triangles; split in half. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, lemon peel, sugar, salt and pepper.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomatoes and onion. Stir in pita triangles. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
- 4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 141 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chicken Pita Salad
"A wonderful light dinner for a hot day!"
"Instead of toasting the pitas, I split them & stuffed them with the salad! Delicious!"