- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Stir in the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry the chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink; sprinkle with garlic salt. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the carrots in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add green pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add chicken and pineapple.
- Stir pineapple juice mixture; pour into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the tomato wedges. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Pineapple Stir-Fry
"Very yummy and full of flavour! I switched up the veggies a bit to our liking :)"
"Really tasty, kids loved it, agree adding broccoli or snap peas & julienne onions would add color & taste. Sauce was too thick but that might've been due to using 20 oz of a whole pineapple. Had no idea how much juice might be in a can for this substitution so poured pineapple juice into the cornstarch to the consistency I thought it should be. Next time I'll know to use more juice. I also crushed a garlic clove instead of garlic salt. As a result of my 'from scratch' ingredients, 25 min prep was way too short. Used an electric wok & cook time alone was 15 minutes. No way 1.5lbs cubed chicken (3 large breasts) can be done in 5-6 min."
"My family really enjoys this stir fry."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. I used a mixture of red & green peppers & added some julienned onion & sliced mushrooms. I think it would also be good if some brocolli florets, green beans, asparagus, or sugar snap peas were added."
"I made this last night and it was wonderful! I eliminated the tomato and added an extra green pepper. I used two cloves of garlic in the sauce instead of garlic salt. I also added an extra tablespoon of brown sugar and cornstarch."