Chicken Pie in a Pan Recipe
Tasty and filling, this potpie is a perfect way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. It takes some time to prepare, but luckily, I have five children at home to help me. This dish travels well and is ideal to take to a potluck or family reunion.
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, carrots and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in soup and chicken. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. For crust, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk, tossing with a fork until mixture forms a soft dough; shape into a ball.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from a long side. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 480 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Pie in a Pan
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC