A Philly cheesesteak sandwich is a wonderful thing if you don't focus on the nutritional downside. Preserve the flavor of a Philly sandwich but replace the steak with chicken for a healthier outcome. For added nutritional benefit, choose colorful red and orange sweet peppers. —Shelly Epley, Thornton, Colorado
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet orange or yellow pepper, julienned
- 6 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 4 whole wheat hoagie buns, split and warmed
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and sweet peppers until crisp-tender.
- Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add cheese. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Philly Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 2012, p56
Reviews for Chicken Philly Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review