- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, process tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender; add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Penne Casserole
Sort By :
"Still needs more flavor. This will probably be better tomorrow. It takes a very long time to make though, so I'm not sure if I'll make this again. I think it's a great base recipe for sure. I wanted to rate this as is and not make any changes."
"Delicious! We all loved it and will make it again~"
"Very flavorful! Does take awhile to prepare, but its worth it!"
"Made this tonight, full well thinking it would be better tomorrow after the flavors blended. I'm sure it will be, but it was pretty darn fantastic right away! I didn't have Romano cheese, but used fresh-grated Parmesan. Very acceptable substitution!"
"I made this for dinner last night, it was awesome. This will be one I make over and over again. My kids loved it for lunch the next day too!"