Chicken Pasta Skillet Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in broth mixture. Add half-and-half. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Add process cheese, seasoning blend and salt; stir until smooth.
- 3. Add chicken and pasta mixture; heat through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 335 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Chicken Pasta Skillet
"This recipe was good but I did use more cheese than the recipe called for because my family loves cheese. So the cheesier the better!"
"Have fixed this twice now and hubby an I really like it. As other reviewers stated, I cut out a cup of pasta and added an extra cup of broccoli and chicken. Very tasty."
"My family really liked this. I thought we'd try it without the cheese on top to save some fat, and everyone thought it was great without it."
"I tweaked this a bit and it was a HUGE hit at dinner with my husband and 2 year old. I added an extra cup of broccoli, used 1% milk instead of half and half, used full fat Velveeta, and since I didn't have any garlic-herb seasoning on hand, I used 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp onion powder. I also just scattered the shredded cheese on top so it probably was more like 3/4 cup. Not quite as healthy but DELICIOUS!!!! This will become part of my monthly meal rotation for sure."
"I followed the advice and used more broccoli and less pasta. I thought it was very tasty. I thought the portion was small so I served up more but it was filling so a regular portion probably would have been fine."
"It was okay. Nothing fancy or great but it's a decent enough recipe for a quick weeknight recipe. I agree with the other reviewer about increasing the amount of broccoli and decreasing the pasta."
"This was good! I wasn't sure if it would be bland or not, but it was pretty flavorful. I put in 1 tsp of straight garlic instead of the garlic/herb blend. If I make this again, I would add 3 cups of broccoli instead of 2. I would also cut down a little on the noodles, and make 2 1/2 cups of noodles instead of the 3 that the recipe calls for. It was really good!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.