- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in broth mixture. Add half-and-half. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Add process cheese, seasoning blend and salt; stir until smooth.
- Add chicken and pasta mixture; heat through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Pasta Skillet
"This recipe was good but I did use more cheese than the recipe called for because my family loves cheese. So the cheesier the better!"
"Have fixed this twice now and hubby an I really like it. As other reviewers stated, I cut out a cup of pasta and added an extra cup of broccoli and chicken. Very tasty."
"Good recipe, but it's way too lacking on chicken & broccoli and way too heavy on the pasta. You should plan for double the chicken and broccoli to make it work right."
"My family really liked this. I thought we'd try it without the cheese on top to save some fat, and everyone thought it was great without it."
"I tweaked this a bit and it was a HUGE hit at dinner with my husband and 2 year old. I added an extra cup of broccoli, used 1% milk instead of half and half, used full fat Velveeta, and since I didn't have any garlic-herb seasoning on hand, I used 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp onion powder. I also just scattered the shredded cheese on top so it probably was more like 3/4 cup. Not quite as healthy but DELICIOUS!!!! This will become part of my monthly meal rotation for sure."