Chicken Pasta Dinner Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans during the last 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute red peppers and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in the broth, 1/2 cup milk, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan.
- 3. Add chicken to the pepper mixture. Combine cornstarch and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Drain pasta mixture; toss with sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 345 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.