- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water; add to egg mixture. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion, celery and remaining pepper in butter over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in 1/2 cup cream; heat through.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the noodle mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Combine the soup, wine, parsley and remaining cream; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Pasta Casserole
"Our family loved this recipe...I'm always looking for new ways to serve chicken and this was great!"
"This dish was excellent!! My husband loved it, "it's creamy and delicious." It did need more chicken I used 1 ¼ lb., next time I will use a 1 ½ lbs. I used ziti instead of egg noodles, simply because I feel they hold up better to the baking process and don't get mushy. Also, for the layering I found it easier to combine the noodle mixture with the chicken mixture; layer half of that, half of the cheese and repeat."
"AWESOME! Dad likes this one"
"Way too much garlic."
"Excellent for leftovers!"
"This chicken casserole was so good. I cooked it right away instead of letting it set overnight as I needed it for the evening meal. My four year old helped make it and eat it. My husband had already gone to work before it got done. It was so good we delivered him a portion to his work! Next time we will probably add mushrooms, as I think these would really add to the flavor!"
"We just finished having this and it was very tasty. It would be good with mushrooms or maybe peas and carrots. But we liked it just the way it was. Very garlicky. The only thing I changed was I cubed the chicken and I didn't refrigerate. I just made it and popped it into the oven for about 20-25 min., until the cheese was melted. It's a keeper."
"This was great and my family loved it! Will be making it again real soon. I baked the chicken ahead of time and then tossed it with the ingredients. I also added mushrooms. Yummy ! It was great to be able to throw it together on a Saturday while doing household chores and then have a delicious family meal all ready to go on Sunday."