Preparing this family favorite on Sunday night will ensure a fuss-free Monday night dinner. —Marianna Pickering, Neenah, Wisconsin
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water; add to egg mixture. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion, celery and remaining pepper in butter over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in 1/2 cup cream; heat through.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the noodle mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Combine the soup, wine, parsley and remaining cream; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Pasta Casserole in Simple & Delicious August/September 2010, p53
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Pasta Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review