Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water; add to egg mixture. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion, celery and remaining pepper in butter over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in 1/2 cup cream; heat through.
- 3. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the noodle mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Combine the soup, wine, parsley and remaining cream; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- 5. Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- 6. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 546 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Pasta Casserole
"Our family loved this recipe...I'm always looking for new ways to serve chicken and this was great!"
"This dish was excellent!! My husband loved it, "it's creamy and delicious." It did need more chicken I used 1 ¼ lb., next time I will use a 1 ½ lbs. I used ziti instead of egg noodles, simply because I feel they hold up better to the baking process and don't get mushy. Also, for the layering I found it easier to combine the noodle mixture with the chicken mixture; layer half of that, half of the cheese and repeat."
"AWESOME! Dad likes this one"
"Way too much garlic."
"Excellent for leftovers!"
"This chicken casserole was so good. I cooked it right away instead of letting it set overnight as I needed it for the evening meal. My four year old helped make it and eat it. My husband had already gone to work before it got done. It was so good we delivered him a portion to his work! Next time we will probably add mushrooms, as I think these would really add to the flavor!"
"We just finished having this and it was very tasty. It would be good with mushrooms or maybe peas and carrots. But we liked it just the way it was. Very garlicky. The only thing I changed was I cubed the chicken and I didn't refrigerate. I just made it and popped it into the oven for about 20-25 min., until the cheese was melted. It's a keeper."
"This was great and my family loved it! Will be making it again real soon. I baked the chicken ahead of time and then tossed it with the ingredients. I also added mushrooms. Yummy ! It was great to be able to throw it together on a Saturday while doing household chores and then have a delicious family meal all ready to go on Sunday."
"Delicious. Refrigerating overnight blends the flavors for a wonderful dish. My family loved it."
"This was a really good meal! I made it exactly as the recipe shows, and the only change I might have made is to cut the chicken into chunks so there would be more chicken spread around. If you leave the tenderloins whole, there are only about 10 or so in a pack. Also, I did not know about the refridgeration part of the recipe until I started making the meal, so obviously I skipped it and it turned out perfectly fine and delicious! The part where you add the egg/cheese mix to the noodles made the noodles extremely flavorful and the smell was divine! Will definitely make this again."
"This was really good. I did not read all the way through and did not realize it was suppose to be refridgerated. Did not refridgerate and it was great."
"I made this for the family and it was requested again. I would add peas or carrots to it to make it a complete 1 pot meal next time."
"Delicious! I used whole wheat linguini that I broke into smaller pieces instead of the egg noodles, and my family loved it!"
"Fabulous and flavorful, I did add mushrooms to mine and absolutely loved it. This is a keeper"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.