Chicken Parmesan Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut in half
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick oval patties.
- 2. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Top burgers with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce and cheese. Cover and grill 30-60 seconds longer or until cheese is melted.
Grill bread, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 30-60 seconds on each side or until toasted. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce. Serve burgers on toasted bread.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 165°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 381 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.