When my folks originated from Austria in the early 1900s, they brought many of the recipes they enjoyed in the old country. This wonderful dish is one of them.
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole onions, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons capers with juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a heavy skillet, saute whole onions in butter until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute chopped onions until tender. Set aside.
- In a large plastic resealable bag, combine flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika; add chicken, a few pieces at a time and shake to coat.
- Place chicken in skillet; brown on all sides. Add the salt, parsley, broth and remaining paprika. Cover and cook over low heat until juices run clear, about 45 minutes.
- For spaetzle, in a large bowl, stir the flour, eggs, milk, salt and baking powder until smooth (dough will be sticky). In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Pour dough into a colander or spaetzle maker coated with cooking spray; place over boiling water.
- With a wooden spoon, press dough until small pieces drop into boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes or until dumplings are tender and float. Remove with a slotted spoon; toss with butter.
- Remove chicken from skillet; set aside. In the same skillet, stir in the sour cream, capers and juice and onions. Return chicken to the skillet and gently heat through. Place spaetzle on a platter and top with chicken. Serve with sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Paprikash with Spaetzle in Reminisce March/April 1992, p35
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Paprikash with Spaetzle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review