Chicken Orzo Skillet Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons oil for 6-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in broccoli and chicken; heat through. Drain orzo; stir into chicken mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 342 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 589 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.