Chicken or Turkey Pie Recipe
This recipe came from our County Extension Agent's wife, who was a wonderful cook. Everyone always asks for the recipe when I make it because the ingredients are a little different than those in most chicken pies.
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups cooked cubed chicken or turkey
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, carrots and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mushroom soup and chicken. Spoon mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. For crust, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and mix to form soft dough.
- 3. Roll out into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese and roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from long side. Cut into 1/2-in. slices and place on chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 480 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1,218 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC